The new Hugo TT offers numerous improvements over Hugo and a substantial improvement in sound quality. Larger batteries and new super capacitors give the Hugo TT more power, galvanic isolation on the USB input completely eliminates jitter, increased Class A bias reduces distortion, plus the Hugo TT is now a balanced design. As a result, the Hugo TT has more power, better dynamics, greater dynamic headroom, a smoother, more natural sound and better soundstage recreation.
Ease of use is improved by a new front-mounted input selector, cross-feed selector, power on/off switch, LED display of selected input, retention of selected input after power down, better accommodation of audio cables, a full function remote control and new single ended and balanced outputs. Apt-X Bluetooth range is increased to 150’ and a 75ohm coaxial input has been added. Finally, Hugo TT is built to last with a beautifully machined solid aluminum case and a 15 – 20 year battery life.
With the new Hugo TT (Table Top) we've built on the extraordinary success of our genre-defining Hugo DAC/headphone amplifier. The new larger desktop-orientated device offers greater connectivity including a USB-B input, XLR outputs, two quarter inch headphone outputs, plus improved performance and features.
Compared to the more mobile Hugo, the Hugo TT gains a new larger chassis, remote control, an alphanumeric LED display with input/sample rate data, and improved sonic performance thanks to supercapacitors.
The Hugo TT is yet another terrific DAC from Chord. It sounds fabulous, is well-specified and beautifully made. The Hugo TT sets new standards at its price. One of the very best stand-alone DACs we've heard. It's a terrific product and highly recommended.
What HiFi? Five Star Award, August 2015
Advanced Sample Rate Capability
The Hugo TT is ready to take advantage of today's advanced studio-master-quality (DXD) music files allowing music lovers to experience music in true high definition, along with the best possible reproduction of CD-quality music. Hugo TT supports up to 32-bit/384kHz audio via coax and USB, and 24-bit/192kHz over optical, plus DSD64 on all inputs and DSD128 via coax or USB (all via DoP).
In a key upgrade over the original Hugo, the Hugo TT benefits from a high-quality asynchronous B-type USB connection for both the SD and HD USB input. With two further digital inputs: a (new) BNC coaxial and optical (TOSLink), any connected component with a digital output can benefit from the Hugo TT's advanced sound quality.
To fully integrate with today's digitally stored media, the new Hugo TT also has A2DP Bluetooth capability and uses a custom-made module with the aptX codec to feed a digital signal directly into the DAC circuitry, so even without cables, music can still be enjoyed.
Spartan 6 FPGA
The Hugo TT retains the same high-performance Spartan 6 FPGA that enabled Hugo to redefine the DAC genre in 2014. It has the same specification and measured performance as its mobile sibling, a device that "broke all records" for dynamic range in leading UK hi-fi magazine, Hi-Fi World, in the summer of 2014.
Being a home-orientated device, the Hugo TT has been designed to run continuously from the supplied charger, however Chord's engineers have also improved the battery and added Supercap energy storage, a technology seen in F1 where supercacitors back-up the cars batteries by sharing the load and charge demands, thereby protecting them. They serve a similar purpose in the Hugo TT, extending the battery life as well as improving dynamics and demanding transients in recorded music.
Hugo TT Key Features
- Remote control allowing input (source) selection and volume control
- Alphanumeric LED display to show settings
- Double the battery capacity of Hugo
- 10,000,000uF (microfarads) of supercapacitor energy storage
- Fully balanced outputs using XLR connectors
- Single-ended RCA outputs
- BNC coaxial digital input
- Optical TOSLink input
- Full-sized B-type USB inputs for both SD USB and HD USB feeds
- Full galvanic isolation on the HD USB input right up to 384kHz
- Improved analogue stage output current for low distortion into low impedance loads
- 2x Quarter-inch jack headphone outputs
- 1x 3.5mm jack headphone output
- Advanced digital volume control
- Crossfeed filter network
- Battery-powered for power supply isolation
- 26K tap-length filter
- THD: 140dB
- Headphone output: 110dB SPL into a 300ohm headphone load
- 1x Optical TOSLink 24-bit/192KHz-capable
- 1x BNC coaxial input 32-bit/384kHz -capable
- 1x HD/SD USB B-type input up to 32-bit/384kHz
- 1x3.5mm headphone jack
- 2x6.35mm (1/4-inch) headphone jack
- 1x (pair) stereo RCA phono output
- Fully balanced via XLR connectors
- 9.3" x 1.8" x 8.9" (WxDxH)
- Weight 6.6lbs